How to Make Gel Candles - 11 Easy Steps by Tanya Turner
Do you love burning beautiful, scented candles? And do you know that you can easily make them yourself? It is exciting and not at all difficult. Here are 12 easy steps to creating unique candles that you can burn at home, give as gifts, or even sell.
Scroll down for the complete Candle Gel Making LiteratureCandles Displayed For Sale in Bodhgaya, Bihar, India
by Richard I'Anson - Click art print to enlarge
Back to How To's PageYou will need:
2. zinc wicks (cotton wicks can't be used for gel candles because they absorb too much gel)
3. essential oil for fragrance
4. liquid color dye
5. embeds (optional)
All these materials can be obtained online from candle making suppliers. It is important to use essential oils and colors specially made for gel candles. Fragrance oils you can buy in a cosmetic shop are not suitable. Also, you can buy a gel candle making kit. Getting a kit is the best solution for a beginner, because it will include everything you need to make your first few candles. And of course you will need a container. The best container for a gel candle is glass, so people can see the embeds you put inside the candle, but any non-flammable container would do. You can use any glass, wine glass, or even a small wide vase, but your container should be at least 2 inches in diameter. Garage sales and second hand stores are gold mines, when it comes to candle containers. For embeds you can use anything non-flammable - colored aquarium gravel, marbles, glitter, sand, sea shells, pebbles, crystals, polished stones, artificial jewels or pearls.
Steps to making a gel candle
1. Place a little bit of hot glue in the center of the container bottom. Stick the wick in it and let the glue set.
2. Cut the gel into small pieces so it melts faster and more evenly. Melt it in a stainless steel pot over a medium heat.
3. The trickiest part is the temperature - you should get it to exactly 200°F, because overheated gel looses its clarity. For that, you will need a suitable thermometer. 4. Maintain the temperature at 200°; all the gel should melt and become smooth, like syrup.
5. Add color dye to the melted gel, a little bit at a time, until you get the desired color - remember, you can always add more dye to make the color stronger, but you can't take dye away. For a candle with embedded objects, you should use only a little color, so the objects remain visible.
6. Add the fragrance - 1/3 teaspoon for each glass of melted gel will give it a nice scent. For a stronger scent, add a bit more fragrance.
7. Heat the container in the oven or microwave to about 150-160°F. This will help to reduce the appearance of bubbles.
8. If you want to use embeds, dip them in hot gel first and then arrange them in the container as you like. It is better to keep the objects closer to the sides of the container - they will be easier to see, this way.
9. Now it is time to pour your gel into the container. Place your container on a level surface and pour the gel slowly and carefully down the side. If it is your first time, you will probably get a few bubbles; to avoid that, the gel should be still very hot.
10. Pull the wick up. Roll it on a pencil to keep it straight.
11. Let the candle cool. Trim the wick and you are done!
You have a beautiful, unique gel candle, made by yourself.
READ OUR COMPANY POLICIES REGARDING
SHIPPING and RETURNS
SHOPDROPS.COM DOES NOT CHARGE YOU
UNLESS WE CAN FULFILL YOUR ORDER.
Shopdrops.Com is committed to bring to you only quality products at affordable prices.
However, product availability, pricing and actual shipping costs may change at any time.
We likewise reserve the right to cancel your order in the event that an item is sold out
between the time you placed an order and the time we process orders.
In all cases, you will be notified of any such change.
Shop with confidence.
Shopdrops.Com ships to all states of The USA and to the following countries: Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Greenland, Guam, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Korea, Mexico, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Panama, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Qatar, Russian Federation, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Syrian Arab Republic, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, Venezuela, Viet Nam and Yugoslavia
OFFERS GOOD WHILE SUPPLY LASTS
WE DO NOT OFFER RETURNS/EXCHANGES ON COSMETICS, SKINCARE, PERFUMES, COLOGNES,
PERSONAL GROOMING PRODUCTS AND ITEMS EXPRESSLY SPECIFIED AS NON-RETURNABLE.
WE ALSO DO NOT ACCEPT RETURNS ON ALL PRODUCTS THAT HAVE BEEN OPENED AND/OR USED.
PLEASE MAKE YOUR SELECTIONS CAREFULLY WE LIKEWISE DO NOT OFFER RETURNS/EXCHANGES ON CLOTHING AND APPAREL
INCLUDING PUPPY CLOTHING AND WEARABLE PET ACCESSORIES'
THIS IS A PREVENTIVE MEASURE AGAINST RISKS OF POSSIBLE CONTAMINATION
PLEASE MAKE YOUR SELECTION CAREFULLY.
COPYRIGHT AND TRADEMARK COMPLIANCE
We honor the intellectual property rights of others.
If you believe that your work has been copied or used on our website in a way that constitutes copyright or trademark infringement,
please notify us through our contact form and such actual or alleged infringing product/s will be immediately removed from the website.
We do not reproduce or manufacture the products offered on our site but rather we purchase or license products from third party suppliers,
that represent to us that they have sufficient rights to allow us to display and sell the products on the website.
home page | product categories | contact | shop map | shopsearch | index | express lane | Useful Links
Copyright © 2017 shopdrops.com All rights reserved.
Number of Visitors To Date